Kyrie

If you're my age (or older) you may remember this 80s hit from the band Mr. Mister. Most people think that this is just an ordinary pop song, but it's actually more than that. Beneath all the synthesizers and electric guitars this is really a religious song.

No kidding.

The key words in the chorus are Kyrie Eleison, not Kyrie Allison nor "carry a laser" as many thought it sounded like.

It's a Greek phrase which means "Lord have mercy".

It was lifted from the Kyrie invocation, recited in Greek or in Latin in some traditional Roman Catholic masses.

Κύριε ἐλέησον, Χριστὲ ἐλέησον, Κύριε ἐλέησον.
Kyrie eleison; Christe eleison; Kyrie eleison.
Lord have mercy; Christ have mercy; Lord have mercy.


So if you were actually singing this song in 80s without knowing what it meant, you were actually asking God for mercy.

Which isn't really such a bad thing.

In fact I could really use some of his mercy right about now.

The song is quite nice. It was one of my favorites then, and I still have goosebumps when I hear it.

The message is, whereever you are, whatever you do, you're not alone.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Kyrie
Mr. Mister

The wind blows hard against this mountainside
Across the sea into my soul
It reaches into where I cannot hide
Setting my feet upon the road

My heart is old it holds my memories
My baby burns a gemlike flame
Somewhere between the soul and soft machine
Is where I find myself again

Kyrie Eleison
Down the road that I must travel
Kyrie Eleison
Through the darkness of the night
Kyrie Eleison
Where I'm going will you follow
Kyrie Eleison
On a highway in the light

When I was young I thought of growing old
Of what my life would mean to me
Would I have followed down my chosen road
Or only wished what I could be

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commonwealth Ave. lot for Lease

Is aspartame safe?

Peddling Snake Oil - The Khaos Super Turbo Charger