The Da Vinci Code....

A couple of days ago I just finished reading Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. I went through the book in a day or so, compelled by the suspenseful twists and turns of the story and especially the controversial premises the book presented regarding Jesus Christ's life...that historical proof exists that Jesus in fact married Mary Magdalene, and actually fathered children. Also intriguing were the relationship of ancient pagan practices, rituals, beliefs and symbols on modern religion...the alleged suppression of ancient biblical information by the church in an attempt to preserve the status quo, the search for the holy grail, and the cryptic codes hidden in famous works of art.

Well, no doubt the book is a work of fiction, but some of the ideas it presented held at least some grain of authencity, having been proposed in the past and backed up from careful historical research.

Though I consider myself a Catholic and a believer in Jesus Christ, I don't suppose an interest in these precepts would be enough to label me a blasphemer...would it now? Religion for me has always been a matter of personal faith, irregardless of what history has shown. History, for that matter, has never been completely accurate...considering that for the most part it has often been written the victor, the conqueror, the one in the position of power.

I found the premises so intriguing that I started reading other books on the subject, namely Secrets of the Code and Holy Blood, Holy Grail in an effort to determine what are facts, and what are not.

I don't know what I'm looking for actually...perhaps I just don't like the idea of someone else deciding what I'm fit to know, and what I'm not....anyone have any opinions? ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commonwealth Ave. lot for Lease

Is aspartame safe?

Peddling Snake Oil - The Khaos Super Turbo Charger