New Year's blues and the Dilbert syndrome....

I'm in a rut lately. The ushering in of a new year almost always does that to me.

Imagine, a whole year gone...and hardly anything to show for it.

Things have been difficult lately...though probably from a mental perspective more than anything else.

I've lost my drive at work, fueled in part by the holiday blues, management's flawed decision making, the inevitable slowdown that comes every holiday season, and the even longer slowdown still to come in anticipation of the coming elections.

I mean...what's the point?

Of course that's not really a healthy attitude to have, I know. But that's simply the way things are in the government corporation where I work.

I really need to get out of here, and find something else to do. Even my blogging has been adversely affected. For some reason I haven't been as prolific a blogger as I once was. I guess I just got tired of all the politics and stuff that I used to write about.

Let's face it. Being in the company of mediocre people can really hurt your perspective on things. Of course, not everyone at work is plagued by the mediocrity bug...but let's just say that there are more than enough mediocre people at the place I work...particularly at certain key positions...to ensure that the office goes nowhere...and fast.

If I had my way I'd be out of here faster than you can say "uncle". Alas, it's not that easy to find another job, so I have to grin and bear it. And besides, I have to come to terms with the possibility that I may not be smart enough to work anywhere else but in government. [cool wind blows...] *shudder*

Ah, I guess I'll get over these negativities soon. I have to shake off the holiday lethargy as well. It's never really pleasant feeling as blunt as a club when I used to be...as in used to be...as sharp as a tack.

Lacking a purpose, or a reason can do that to you. So what do you do when you feel like you've lost your edge and your purpose?

You put your nose to the grindstone, and find something to shoot for.

That's all anyone can really hope to do in times like these.

I haven't ranted in this blog in a long long time now. I can only hope you people can put with this one. :-)

Some words of wisdom from my favorite wise man, Dilbert:

If you spend all of your time arguing with people who are nuts, you'll be exhausted and the nuts will still be nuts.

Large corporations welcome innovation and individualism in the same way the dinosaurs welcomed large meteors.

The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job.


And my hands down favorite:

If we’re so smart, why do we work here?

I guess Scott Adams really knows his stuff. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commonwealth Ave. lot for Lease

Is aspartame safe?

Peddling Snake Oil - The Khaos Super Turbo Charger