Dictum Meum Pactum

- "My word is my bond."

What would you do if you had knowledge of a certain thing that's bound to adversely affect someone you know, but you gave your word that you wouldn't say anything? What if that someone was a friend? A close friend? A former close friend with whom you had a falling out? How about someone you don't even know? Does it really matter how close you are to the person?

Without realizing it, I suddenly find myself in this situation. Yes, I gave my word, and hell would freeze over before I would even consider breaking it...but still, if you're in a postion to help someone from imminent disaster, would you break your word for that?

My word means everything to me. My word is my bond. I do not take promises lightly. As a result, before I give my word or promise anything I think it through several times just to make sure that I myself understand the consequences of my actions. It has never happened yet that I broke my word...and I'm not looking forward to it happening soon. It does, however, makes me pause and think: what would it actually take for me to break my word? Would I break my word if it would involve saving someone from an undesirable fate?

I don't know. I haven't been in that situation before, but I think I am now.

I don't think I'll be able to betray anyone's trust just like that. I think I'll try to ask permission first from the one who shared the information with me before I do anything. If I don't get permission, then I probably won't just say a word. It's really hard sometimes to weigh one's personal convictions with events in the real world, but that's just how it is sometimes.

Let's just see what happens first. For all I know, it may already be too late. If there's something that I can do to help, I'll try to my best to do it, without necessarily betraying anyone's confidence. I just hope things turn out for the best...for everyone concerned, whether I play a role or not.

Moral dilemmas were never my cup of (red) tea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commonwealth Ave. lot for Lease

Is aspartame safe?

Peddling Snake Oil - The Khaos Super Turbo Charger