Feeding my mind....

Image hosted by Photobucket.comBeside my nightstand I have a couple of magazine racks piled with old and new magazines, and a number of books in various stages of being read. I guess I was always a bookworm, from as far back as I could remember. Unfortunately, the rigors of public servitude (as if) as well as the hustle and bustle of daily life leave little time to indulge in one's literary passions. However, there still remains a small of window of opportunity for myself to enjoy a good book or magazine every now and then...or for that matter even a bad one. Among those waiting by my bedside to be finished, along with a brief anecdote, are the following:

1. 2004 Edition of the Guinness Book of World Records

Well, nothing really remarkable about this book. Been reading the Guinness Book of World Records for more than 20 years now, ever since my I got introduced to it my eldest brother. It's an annual publication, and it's not really the type of book you read from cover to cover...just the type of book you flip through the pages when you feel bored. Somehow, after more than 20 years, it seems to have lost a fair amount of its zing and mystique, and comes across as a bit trivial. Records involving electronics and technology are broken so regularly, it lost it's excitement, and movie grosses, as well as sports records don't seem to be that fascinating anymore. As for the stuff which doesn't change, well, after a while you tend to memorize them. All in all, a good book to while away the time with, and to pick up trivia.

2. Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki

Recommended to me by at least two friends, a personal finance management book which blinds you with a flash of the obvious and serves you generous heapings of common sense. The business models being advocated are a little to good to be true, but you can pick up a lot of useful information. Information we probably already knew even before we picked the book up, but tended to disregard. That perhaps is the appeal of Robert Kiyosaki's work, reintroducing us to financial concepts so simple, we tend to forget them. Of course, after reading it, don't quit your day job.

3. Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln

4. The Templar Revelation by Lyn Picknett and Clive Prince

5. Secrets of the Code by Dan Burstein


These books were bought and read as a side effect of reading The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Pretty fascinating and full of esoteric details that strangely enough, seem to fit together. Recommended to those with open minds.

6. If the Pasta Wiggles, Don't Eat It...And Other Good Advice by Martha Bolton

A Christmas gift given to me by a couple of my good colleagues at work. The wisdom of biblical verses presented as humorous anecdotes and quips. Perfect for devout individuals with attention deficit disorders...like me...;-) Thanks to Doc "Oh" and the little girl...;-)

7. On Healing

A gift last Christmas by my Kris Kringle "baby." A collection of soothing bible verses. Great for the weary soul...Thanks Arcel! :-)

8. Astrological Signs by C.P. Cabrera

Another Christmas gift. Uses my zodiac sign (Virgo, incidentally) to describe my demeanor, and my personality both as a child and as a parent. Kinda interesting. And pretty consistent too. In a nutshell, it describes me as discriminating, finicky, very meticulous and analytical. In other words, a picky worry wart. :-) Thanks Riane! ;-)

9. Old and new issues of T3, Gadgets, FHM, C!, Automotion, and PC Buyer's Guide.

What can I say? I'm a dweeb.

I guess my menu of reading material is pretty spread out into various unrelated, perhaps even conflicting subjects (religion and astrology anyone?) but I guess that's just me. Never could resist a good book. I should make the most of this time...sooner or later I have to go back to reading nothing but law books...a prospect I hardly relish, but necessity dictates. Read any good books lately? Let me know if you have will you? :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commonwealth Ave. lot for Lease

Is aspartame safe?

Peddling Snake Oil - The Khaos Super Turbo Charger