Ash Wednesday....

Ash Wednesday...the start of the Lenten season. And I just barely made it. It was about a quarter past six when I arrived at the Parish of the Holy Sacrifice in U.P. Diliman. Parked cars were packed bumper to bumper on the roads surrounding the chapel. The sun has already set, and there as a gentle, lofty breeze blowing against my face. A lot people were walking as brisk as I am, intent on catching the start of the service. My eyes wandered...at the young couple holding hands…an old lady by herself...a young mother carrying a young girl…a group of students fresh from class...a middle aged couple along with their children. I turned my phone off, stuffed my water bottle in my pocket, and entered the chapel.

The chapel was bursting with people. But it wasn’t uncomfortable. Probably because the day was cool to begin with, with the heavy overcast...partly because of the architecture of the chapel, a dome shape with several huge openings all around. I wasn’t able to sit, but I didn’t mind. Crisp through the speakers and reverberating off the walls was the sound of the choir, accompanied by a lone acoustic guitar...nylon strings. If you listen to guitars long enough, you can tell the difference between nylon and steel.

The service was uneventful...the officiating priest seemed relatively young, and perhaps a bit nervous. Perhaps he was newly ordained? He seemed to speak at rapid rate and occasionally lost cues with the choir and with...what do you call them, lay ministers? Those who read verses and lead the responses...? I guess I forgot. I fell in line to receive my ash mark...I could barely discern what the lay minister said as he applied some ash to my forehead. I used to know it...I guess I forgot. I guess I've been forgetting a lot of things lately. The priest got a few laughs when he suggested that we offer the sign of peace “sincerely” unlike before.

Before the priest gave the final blessings, he elicited more laughter from the audience when he said that he would be giving blessings to lovers on the following Sunday mass. Married couples could renew their vows as well, even those whose husbands or wives are in the province, working abroad, or deceased. I felt a momentary pang of..."pain?” or was it just gas? Had I remained married, I would have been married for eleven years already. Has it been that long? I got separated in 1999, so I guess I have single now longer that I had been married. Seems like so long ago…yet I could still remember...as if it was just yesterday. Yeah...the curse of long term memory...the emotions are all gone...either dissipated in the breeze of the succeeding five years or buried somewhere deep down in the recesses of my existence and forgotten. Perhaps a little of both? Only the disappointment, to some extent remains. Or does it? In less than a second (literally) these thoughts flash through my mind, and in an instant they're all gone again. As it should be. I shrug my shoulders to myself and focus on the service.

The priest said that the start of the Lenten season was a time to remember the sacrifice of Jesus Christ...and a time for change as well. Change. I could use some right about now. I just pray that things work out for once. I have this strange feeling that if this works out, everything else will fall into place. Things will start to make sense again for me. And I can’t wait. Life is too short to remain cynical and full of angst over some past event. Yes. I have to get on with the rest of my life. I'm ready....

I left the church with my head held up high and feeling somewhat light-hearted. I was thankful I was able to get to church this time. I haven’t been going to church as often as I should. And I saw signs. Signs that tell me things are going to get better....

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey there.
I want to share something with you. I am a religious man, Catholic by birth, I am also different from the rest so faith is a big deal to my health and survival. Now, I study religion at Concordia University. If you read my blog, then you'd know what i was talking about above. I find it Very Difficult NOT to change my life or try and work harder at being "a better man/husband/partner" when all i do, every day at school is talk about God and religion. Now if you are looking for a change, and YOU send that request out to the universe, Be forewarned, IF the universe thinks you are ready and your request went out (honestly and humbly ) the universe WILl answer, Just be ready for the answer, whatever the answer may be.

From the books you are reading I surmise you are on a spiritual quest. The fact uyou went to mass today and wrote that beautiful post tells me more.

So my soldier of ligt, changs comes when we are ready, and sometimes when we NEED to be readied.

You know all those questions we ask WHEN we die, the ones we've prepared for our death??? Well, what if you started asking them NOW, maybe you'll get some answers so that you can work on the questions while you are still alive. It might make things better.

Walk on pilgrim. And have faith, God knows already what you need, YOU have to have the faith and courage to ASK him from your heart. It is IN the sating of that prayer that the energy is put forth.

Be careful what you ask for though, sometimes God says, no, not right now!! sometimes the answer comes back as - Maybe you need to rethink the question. and sometimes he says... I don't think you are ready for that answer yet.

You want a change, watch out what you ask for, you just might get it. Lent is about prayer and reflection. What will you take on the journey for the next 40 days... only that which you need. and nothing more.

Jeremy
Ronald Allan said…
Thank you...I guess my posts were giving it away, weren't they? But then again I suppose it's blindingly obvious. I'm a Catholic, and I haven't lost my faith. Been close to losing it a few times, but no. I can safely say that I haven't. I would like to think that I understand what God wants me to do...to be, but God works in mysterious ways. At the end of the day it is your faith which will sustain you. Yes, at times I've humbly and honestly asked for something...something which I believe that all the trials I went through before in life have prepared me for. And I have faith the he will show the answers in due time. According to His plan.

Thanks for the sensible advice. Pretty difficult to receive good advice nowadays...:-)
Anonymous said…
They say it is all about the journey. And who you meet along the way, and what you learn. Remember if you meet someone on the road, stop and ask your questions. Share your food and water and help the infirm who might need a hand. You never know when the Master will show himself to you and say..."good work, good and faithful servant."

WHOA I am on a roll tonight.

When the student is ready, the Teacher appears!!!

Eastern thought teaches us that as long as we remain teachable, anything is possible. and the buddah says..
Do no harm. if you see with "those" eyes then enlightenment is possible.

Shall we walk? as my friend Eric likes to say..yes,
LET US !
Ronald Allan said…
Wise words from a wise man....it may not be too late for me after all...:-) Yes. We shall....

Popular posts from this blog

Commonwealth Ave. lot for Lease

Is aspartame safe?

Peddling Snake Oil - The Khaos Super Turbo Charger