Weekend Musings....

Another weekend. I wish I could say that there was something exciting about the past week, but alas, there wasn’t. Given the current circumstances of our office, work has been unusually light, and it seems that it will remain that way, at least for another week or so. As a result, I spent most of my working hours just browsing the net, reading email and blog-hopping, and updating my own blog. Came up with a lot of improvements actually, don’t you think? :-)

I’m planning to go DSL later this month. I have been on dial-up at home ever since I first got on the net in 1996, first using a 14.4 kbps modem, then to 33.6 kbps modem, and finally to a 56 kbps modem that I still use at present. It’s ironic that during those nine years my processing speed has improved at least by a factor of 20 (I used a Pentium 100 then, I use an Athlon XP 2400+ now), my memory, by a factor of 64 (16 MB then, 1024 MB/1 GB now), and my hard disk storage, by a factor of more than 222 (1.08 GB single drive then, 240 GB RAID-0 configuration now), yet I’m still using the same, narrow pipe to the internet. Well, that’s about to change soon, if things go as planned. And it’s about time as well. When it takes you almost an hour to change a single piece of punctuation on your blog, you probably know it's time to move up.

Celebrated a couple of friends’ birthdays for what seemed to be a week. I used to like birthdays, whether my own or of anyone I know. It used to be a cause of celebration, of joy, of getting together, trading funny stories and quips, and laughter over perhaps a frosty mug of beer. Don’t get me wrong, while that is still true of course, I think I have reached the stage in which birthdays also remind me of the inescapable fact that I am getting…well, old. In fact, a group of friends invited me to go on a drinking binge…and knowing these guys, who for the most part are a couple of years younger than I am, binges with them last until 4 AM or so. I found myself declining…on two separate occasions this week, even though I’ve done my share of binging until the wee hours of the morning in the past. Yeah. I must be getting old all right. If you’re looking forward to a quiet evening of reading a book while sipping a mug of hot chocolate, or perhaps a leisurely smoke, yeah, you must be getting old.

As far as smoking is concerned, I seemed to have reduced it significantly. Now I average less than three sticks a day. On some days, maybe a single stick, on some, none. Ever since my close smoker friends have left the office for greener pastures, I found myself slowly losing my taste for smoking. Oh well.

As for reading, I bought an updated copy of Tom Clancy's Fighter Wing: A Guided Tour of an Air Force Combat Wing. I have always been fascinated with military organization and hardware, and in fact I have all of Tom Clancy's non fiction books on this subject. I also got another book, Dan Burstein and Arne De Keijzer’s Secrets of Angels & Demons. I told myself that I wouldn’t buy that book, but after glancing through a couple of chapters, I found it quite intriguing, and eventually ended up purchasing the book. Already read the first few chapters on the history and inner workings of the Vatican, and have to say that I found them most interesting. I figured as a Catholic, it would be a good idea to understand how my Church works, no? After reading two of his novels, I think I may have developed a passion for Dan Brown’s work, particularly those in the Robert Langdon Series (Angels & Demons, The Da Vinci Code) as well as related subjects related to them. The next book is supposed to be released late this year, and is entitled The Solomon Key. It’s plot will supposedly tackle the founding fathers of the United States and the Freemasons, and will be set in Washington, D.C. It ought to make for an interesting read when it comes out.

Watched a number of DVDs this week as well just like I always do. Just finished season 2 of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and moved on to the early part of season 3. The end of season 2 puts the Federation, and the rest of the Alpha Quadrant at risk of invasion by the Dominion. The last season 3 episode I saw was of Lt. Thomas Riker (the double of Cmdr. William Riker, USS Enterprise First Officer) taking control of the USS Defiant and taking it into Cardassian territory. (A little too nerdy for you? Sorry, hahaha.) Also saw The Grudge starring Sarah Michelle Gellar (of Buffy the Vampire Slayer). Though it had its moments, the story was quite flimsy. The Ring is whole of a lot better, with a much more substantial backstory and plot going for it.

I had a very revealing in depth chat with a friend this week. Though I am very sure of what I feel, to be honest I’m not quite sure what to do. Has it been that long since I last made an attempt? Perhaps it has. Things seem to be somewhat complicated, but I believe complications are relative, and if it’s pure and true, things work out in the end. That may seem to be a naïve way of putting things, but I still believe in it. I have opted to let things take their natural course. I have had nothing but time for the past couple of years now, and I’m no longer in a hurry. Why hurry in the first place? If there’s anything that experience has taught me it is that rushed things invariably get botched up sooner or later. And I don’t want to botch this up. All I can do for the meantime is enter my plea, plead my case, and throw myself at the mercy of the court. You can’t lose if you have nothing to lose in the first place. As for winning…well…forgotten how it feels. :-)

Lastly, I'm bracing myself for the possibility that I may have to make a career changing, life changing decision before the month is over. Haven't made my mind up, but whatever I decide, it is bound to have long term repercussions on how the rest of my life is going to turn out, particularly at the professional level. Being safe and secure in one's career is fine, but you never get to be anyone or go anywhere without taking risks, am I right? I'm sure God will help me make the right decision.

That's enough musings for now. Enjoy your weekend guys. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commonwealth Ave. lot for Lease

Is aspartame safe?

Peddling Snake Oil - The Khaos Super Turbo Charger