Don't they have anything better to do?

One of the nice things about staying at home (I have been a bit under the weather for the past two days) is that I can get to watch afternoon television programs, which I rarely get to do during weekdays.

Flipping through the channels with the remote, I can't help but notice how two television programs representing different religious beliefs do nothing but point out contradictions in the other's teachings, in an attempt to discredit the other.

I'm talking about the religious word war between the Iglesia ni Cristo (INC) and Ang Dating Daan (ADD) which translates to "The Old Path."

I'm not a follower of either, though I am a Christian, specifically a Catholic. I do not claim to fully understand the INC's or ADD's religious beliefs, so I neither subscribe by them nor dismiss them. However, I can relate a bit to what they are trying to get across, as most of their discussions revolve around the interpretation of various passages in the Bible.

Despite having the Bible as a common denominator, these two religious organizations don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of religious matters and basically seem to do nothing on the air but attack each other's teachings.

Don't they have anything better to do? As religions, I'd like to think that their efforts would be better directed towards the upliftment of the morals of the members of their respective flocks, rather than antagonize each other on national TV. They even go as far as getting testimonies and statements from converts from the other side. For religion, this seems a lot like politics. Hmm.

Since both tend to quote the Bible often, didn't Jesus say in Matthew 5:38-41: You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also; and if any one would sue you and take your coat, let him have your cloak as well; and if any one forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.

Maybe they should start turning over the other cheek. Unless they missed that passage.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Well, I guess if you're looking for the truth, there may be better places to look for it than on TV.

Comments

Anonymous said…
How do you think they are able to broadcast TV shows like these? How much is the cost? I'm sure you know what I mean.

Also, I think, there are a lot of Filipinos who are not "Functionally Literate" (I found this term in one of the blogs I visited but forgot the url.)That's why many of these so called Christian groups flourish in our country, including the crazy politicians.
Punzi said…
I agree with your view but it sure is good entertainment...
Ronald Allan said…
myepinoy: Amen to that. :-)

punzi: I have to agree. Sometimes I even prefer it to wrestling or ultimate fighting. :-)
TK said…
UNTV is owned by larry henares' son, "Atom" (atom's own son's name is... what else, "Quark")ADD is a block timer which means they pay a cool Million per month for the right to broadcast 24 hours a day should they choose to. the reason why you see "functionally literate" broadcasters there like Jay Sonza, Batas mauricio et al is because ADD re sell air time to them for 5 to 6 figures per hour.
Ronald Allan said…
Yeah, they are dumbasses, arguing over literal interpretations of the scriptures.

I guess they can afford the million per month block time from donations and collections from members who are none the wiser...

And it probably makes good business sense to sell air time to others as well.

So this is religion in the 21st century. :-)
Anonymous said…
it's entertaining to watch them. :)

But true. They're all dumbasses, including the preacher turned politician. :D

Popular posts from this blog

Commonwealth Ave. lot for Lease

Is aspartame safe?

Peddling Snake Oil - The Khaos Super Turbo Charger