Childhood Memories of Food....

A meme from ScrewedUp AKA SnglGuy. This is for you Guy. :-)

5 Childhood Memories of Food

  1. Nips - The local version of M&M's plain chocolate candies. As far as I can tell, the earliest memories I have of candy involve Nips. Its been a while since I last had any, and every time I see a packet in a grocery store, for a split-second I go backwards in time and remember when I was three or four years old. At that age, candy always seemed to cheer me up. Actually it still does. :-)

  2. Paksiw na bangus - Milkfish cooked in vinegar (see basic recipe here). Still a favorite of mine, and makes my mouth water just thinking about it. :-) Just imagine, the sour-spicy taste of plump milkfish simmered in vinegar, ginger and chili peppers. Well, the childhood memory was of a time when a milkfish bone (tinik) once got lodged in my throat. I was told to try eating bananas, then bread, then drinking a glass of milk in an effort to dislodge the bone. Eventually, we resorted to an old wives' tale of having your throat rubbed by a person born feet first (suhi). A nephew of mine was born that way. Strangely enough, it actually worked.

  3. Fried chicken - As a kid I just love fried chicken. Well, who didn't as a kid? I still love the stuff now. However, back in the day, there just weren't that many places to get fried chicken, we didn't have as many restaurants or fast-food places with fried chicken on the menu. Now there's hardly a stretch of road without a place you can get fried chicken, and virtually all restaurants have this item on their menus.

    Considering its relative rarity then compared to the present day, my mother often made fried chicken at home, and a quick recipe often involved chicken pieces marinated overnight in a mixture of soy sauce and calamansi (Philippine lemon) then fried to a deep brown and served with banana ketchup (UFC was my favorite brand then). This recipe often gave me my fried chicken fix when I was a kid.

  4. Image hosted by Photobucket.comAratiles - Muntingia calabura. Known in English as Jamaica cherries. Also referred to locally as siresa. A sweet berry in varying shades of green, red, purple and violet that we ate right off the tree. As kids we would sometimes pick hundreds of them, put them in a bowl with some ice, and ate them as a group while talking about...well...what do kids talk about then? I don't remember anymore. :-)

  5. Ice cream cakes - Does anyone still make these locally? Imagine, a whole cake made up of ice cream. It was a kid's nirvana. :-) Aside from eating the thing itself, we even had more fun playing with the dry ice packed along with the cake to prevent it from melting. Who hasn't played with dry ice? The cool white smoke which appears every time you dropped a piece of it in water...it was, figuratively and literally, just cool. :-)

I can think of a lot more, but five will have to do for now. :-)

Along with this meme are the following rules:

  1. List down 5 childhood memories of food.

  2. And in the tradition of this meme, list the 4 previous taggers before yourself and then your own name at no. 5.

  3. Tag 3 (or more) other bloggers to continue this meme.

Four previous taggers and the victim:

  1. Funky Cookies

  2. Teh Tarik Satu

  3. Beer Brat

  4. ScrewedUp AKA SnglGuy

  5. Yours truly

Three bloggers that I'm going to send this meme to:

  1. Xtnag

  2. May

  3. Rain

Have fun guys. :-)

Comments

Ronald Allan said…
Think we'll ever see an ice cream cake again man? :-) Same to you Guy. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Commonwealth Ave. lot for Lease

Is aspartame safe?

Peddling Snake Oil - The Khaos Super Turbo Charger