"Walking Encyclopedia" passes away....

Image hosting by PhotobucketErnie Baron, host of the popular DZMM radio program Knowledge Power and resident weatherman on ABS-CBN's long running news program TV Patrol was declared dead at Medical Center Muntinlupa at 9:30 this morning. He was 65. Cause of death was suspected to be either heart or diabetes related.

For many people, he was the living and breathing epitome of science wizardry and genius, always with a ready answer to virtually any sort of question phoned in by listeners of his nightly radio program. He was also known for the science snippets that he shared with viewers after giving the daily weather report. For the masses, he was the face behind science itself. Of course, like the rest of us, he had his less than desirable points too...

Personally, I never did warm up to his particular style of imparting scientific knowledge. Oftentimes, I would find his answers to various queries inaccurate, phrased incorrectly, unresponsive, and sometimes just flat out wrong. There are instances that I think that he patronizes the person asking the question too much, or explains some scientific phenomenon in a manner that doesn't really capture all the necessary details ("shortcut science" is the term I use to describe these kinds of explanations). I also found it a bit improper the way he doles out medical advice or prescribes "cure-alls" (like the famous cleansing diet) despite the fact that he is not even a physician. But then again, that's just me. I can afford to say this because I'm a science enthusiast myself, and I personally have high standards on how science should be taught and explained. But let me be the first to admit that standards aren't always important. Especially in this case. Obviously I am not the audience targetted by his radio program.

For his many listeners and fans, it doesn't really matter what I say. While his delivery of scientific knowledge may leave a lot to be desired especially for science nitpickers like me, he nonetheless performed a valuable service to the community. Some of us may take sources of information like books, cable television, or the internet for granted, but the sad truth is that not everyone has access to such resources. It is with this particular group of people Ernie Baron's star shines, as he is not only a highly accessible source of knowledge, but an inspiration to those who seek to attain the level of enlightenment as he does.

As far as radio and television is concerned, he is the undisputed "walking encyclopedia", having pioneered the educational radio program format in 1965. It certainly won't be easy to fill the void he left.

He may have not been the best science teacher, but for a lot he was their only link to the world of science. He was very generous in sharing the knowledge he has, and it is this which truly makes him special, and his loss heartfelt.

Requiescant in pace.

Comments

Ronald Allan said…
Can't seem to remember Bong Barrameda...hmmm. :-)
Anonymous said…
Mr.Ernie passed away? I can still recall the days when my dad used to make us take crushed garlic with honey whenever we had tonsilitis or fever. He always says they would help kill all bad bacteria in our system according to his good friend Ernie. It really tasted awful! So as years went by, whenever I would fall sick with fever,I would never dare tell my dad or else I'll be forced to take in more of his wonder drug. Mr. Baron really did make a mark in society. I never realized he was old until I read your article. If ever he gets to read this :) I want him to know that it would really have been better if he came up with more edible flavors. :)
TK said…
Pre, this is a well-balanced tribute.

Popular posts from this blog

Commonwealth Ave. lot for Lease

Is aspartame safe?

Peddling Snake Oil - The Khaos Super Turbo Charger