Being sick and killing time....

It's a hot, balmy Sunday evening. I sit here in front of my computer, like I have done so many times in the past. This is my refuge...a temporary escape from the tedious reality that we have to face every waking moment of our lives. I point and click. A browser window opens. I guess looking at the world through the eyes of the internet sometimes makes me feel as if I'm viewing the world from some distant perspective. Helps me see the big picture I guess. I would suppose a fair amount of detachment from reality actually helps us deal with it better. Too much empathy can be...well, depressing.

I'm controlling the urge to break out in a fit of coughing and wheezing as I recuperate from a bad case of cold and cough along with a mild bout of asthma. I can now breathe a lot easier, and the coughing has significantly subsided thanks to the cocktail of capsules and tablets that I've been taking for the past couple of days now. I'm not really feeling that well to go out of the house just yet, and I'm tired of lying down in bed. My son spent the weekend at his mom's, so I'm here all alone. Question is, what do I do? I could use a smoke, but I haven't smoked a stick in a number of days now, considering the state of my health. A drink would be nice, since someone suggested that nothing clears the sinuses better that a shot of some hard liquor. Never mind the liquor, a cold beer would be divine, given how hot it is. It has been weeks though (or has it been more than a month?), and a good drinking companion seems to be rarer than calesas plying Manila's streets nowadays. What else can I do? Hmm...I just fire up a computer game, and lose myself in some imaginary scenario...and how.

After a long hiatus, I seem to be reverting back to my hardcore gamer status. Oh yes, I've always liked playing computer and console games, but it seems to have been a while since a computer game had last occupied my time. I'm currently in the middle of game called Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. It's the sequel to Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic which garnered more than 40 Game of the Year awards in 2003. Having played through about half of the sequel so far, the game even promises to be better than it's predecessor with a more complex story line which continues off five years after the events of the first game. The plot greatly enriches the Star Wars mythos, and seems like a great appetizer for the coming release of the movie Star Wars Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith. This final installment is highly anticipated as it's supposed to tie up all the loose ends from one trilogy to the next. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I have also been playing Battlefield Vietnam over the net (good fun, but I keep getting killed though), as well as Devil May Cry 3 on my Playstation 2. Haven't really started it yet, but if it's as good as the first two games, it'll probably be a blast. I have to make the most of this time I guess, sooner or later I won't have that much time to spend on playing games. Tomorrow I'm off to work again. Come to think of it, I only spend this much time playing games when I'm sick at home. Too bad life can't be as simple as a computer game. Then all you just need to do is find the cheat codes. :-)

I really should be getting out more.

Comments

Ronald Allan said…
Hmmmm...I wonder...? I may just give it a try...:-)

Popular posts from this blog

Commonwealth Ave. lot for Lease

Is aspartame safe?

Peddling Snake Oil - The Khaos Super Turbo Charger