Lotto odds....

Image hosted by Photobucket.comI have to admit that I have this impulse to regularly buy a lottery ticket. Somehow, the prospect of being an instant millionaire seems almost too good to pass up. In fact, in the span of several years, I have won every prize short of the jackpot. I have gotten three, four, and even five out of the six numbers correct, but I never did get all six. And the odds are that I never will. But it doesn't seem to have placed a damper on my rather feeble hopes. Maybe that's all I'm buying actually. Hope. Hope that lady luck may smile on me and grant me the good fortune to get all six numbers correct. Who knows? I may just win in the next draw...:-) If not, it goes to charity right?

Just to put things in perspective, here are the actual odds and chances in winning the Lotto (6/42), the MegaLotto (6/45), and the SuperLotto (6/49):

Odds: 6 out of 42 numbers, no particular order (Lotto) - 1 in 5,245,786
Chance: 0.0000002

Odds: 6 out of 45 numbers, no particular order (MegaLotto) - 1 in 8,145,060
Chance: 0.0000001

Odds: 6 out of 49 numbers, no particular order (SuperLotto) - 1 in 13,983,816
Chance: 0.0000001

Calculations provided by Gerry Quinn's Mathematical Games Page

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commonwealth Ave. lot for Lease

Is aspartame safe?

Peddling Snake Oil - The Khaos Super Turbo Charger