Hats - A business opportunity?

I went to three malls yesterday looking for a hat I could wear outdoors, considering how hot and sunny it has been lately. I started out at SM Megamall, then to Shangri-La Plaza, finally to The Podium. I was looking for something like a bucket hat, or a golf cap, something in black. Since my day to day attire is more or less casual, consisting of collared shirts, slacks, and leather shoes, I wanted a hat which was a tad more formal than a baseball cap. (Note: It's a ball cap, not a bull cap. I'm tired of hearing people refer to it as a "bull cap" and even insist on it as the correct term.)

Suffice to say that I didn't find what I was looking for. If I found something close to what I wanted, it was either in the wrong color, or in the wrong size. In all three malls. That got me thinking. Here in the Philippines, we have basically two seasons, a dry and wet season. Both seasons are appropriate to wearing hats, and yet, aside from baseball caps which you can get virtually anywhere, you'd be hard pressed to find any other sort of hat here in the Philippines.

Why doesn't anyone think of opening a shop specializing in hats? I mean, with the extremes of weather that we endure, wearing a hat isn't actually a bad idea. Think of it. Protection from the weather, be it harsh sunlight or heavy rain, and be stylish at the same time. Some probably forego hats because there aren't really many choices. I certainly wouldn't be caught dead wearing a baseball cap if I were wearing a shirt and tie. :-) And look at it this way, if there was a hat that wasn't only functional but actually looks good on you, wouldn't you buy it? I know I would. There just aren't many choices around.

Anyone think this is a good idea? If I had the funds, I'd open a hat store myself. I even have a name for it already, but I won't mention it here, someone may plagiarize it. :-) Perhaps someone would like to finance this idea of mine? Perhaps you need an, industrial partner, a manager-in-training or a consultant? I could use the work. :-) I'm pretty sure this idea will click, more so if you a get a well known celebrity to endorse it. It might even be the start of a new fad. :-)

Interested? Intrigued? Post a comment or tag me. :-)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Bucket hats

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Golf caps

Comments

Anonymous said…
pwede ba ko magjoin sa business? i'l design din kikay hats made especially for women.
Ronald Allan said…
Why not? Produce ka na pondo...:-)

Popular posts from this blog

Commonwealth Ave. lot for Lease

Is aspartame safe?

Peddling Snake Oil - The Khaos Super Turbo Charger